With a population of 3,744, Junee is 50km South of Temora. Situated in the Murrumbidgee Murray district, Junee's edge is framed by the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. The town that started as a pastoral lease called the Jewnee Run prospered in the goldrushes from the 1860s to the 1880s, and developed rapidly when the main railway line arrived in 1881. Much of the land around Junee was taken up by selectors keen to exploit transportation links that the railway had to offer with the market places of Sydney and Melbourne. The wealth of the town at this time is reflected in the many grand buildings that still stand today.