Coolamon is located 40 kms north of Wagga. It is reputed to be centred in one of the richest agricultural and pastoral districts in the Riverina. The Coolamon has a population of 1,339. Traditional land owners were people from the Wiradjuri Nation. Coolamon area was first settled by Europeans in the 1870's, the railway arrived in February 1881 and the town was gazetted in October 1881.