DH-115 Vampire T.35
Rego: VH-VAM Military S/N: A79-617
The de Havilland Vampire first flew in Britain in September 1943 and three years later was ordered for the RAAF. The Vampire’s pod is constructed mainly of wood and the wings, tail and booms are made of metal. The aircraft was developed initially as a single seat fighter but was subsequently developed into a night fighter, fighter/bomber and trainer versions. A total of 3,987 were built between 1943 and 1961 in six countries, including Australia.
In Australia, de Havilland built 80 single seat aircraft at their Bankstown factory. With the first Australian built aircraft flying in June 1949. The single seat aircraft were powered by Rolls Royce Nene engines, built under license by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in Melbourne. These were the first jet engines built in Australia.
The Museum's Vampire (Construction No. 4139) was built in 1951 and delivered to the RAAF on 22 May 1958 and was put into service with the Central Flying School at East Sale in Victoria. It was subsequently transferred to No. 1 Advance Flying Training School at Pearce in WA. The aircraft served most of its RAAF time in the west until disposed of in January 1970. A79-617 was sold and exported to the USA where after many years of storage it was returned to flying condition and operated privately until purchased by David Lowy in 1998. After being shipped back to Australia the Vampire underwent extensive restoration and repainting before arriving at the Temora Aviation Museum. In February 2001 David Lowy donated the Vampire to the Temora Aviation Museum.
The Vampire is flown regularly on Museum Aircraft Showcase Days and airshows.
EngineDe Havilland Goblin 35
Centrifugal flow turbojet.
|Aviation Turbine Fuel (Jet Fuel)|
|Center Tank Capacity:||96 Imperial Gallons||436 Litres||115 U.S. Gallons|
|Wing Tank Capacity (2):||52 Imperial Gallons||236 Litres||62 U.S. Gallons|
|Leading Egde Tank Capacity (2):||65 Imperial Gallons||296 Litres||78 U.S. Gallons|
|Drop Tank Capacity||100 Imperial Gallons||454 Litres||120 U.S. Gallons|
|Wingspan:||38' 0"||11.58 m|
|Length:||34' 9 "||9.37 m|
|Wing Area:||262 sq. ft||24.34 sq. m|
|Height:||8' 2"||2.68 m|
|Empty:||7,253 lb||3,290 kg|
|Maximum Takeoff weight:||12,360 lb||5,606 kg|
|Aircraft could be fitted with two or four 20mm Hispano Cannons.|
|Provision for carriage of two 500 or 1,000lb (227 or 454 kg) bombs or eight 60lb (27kg) rocket projectiles. In 1964, A79-617 was fitted with Sidewinder missile guidance equipment.|
|Maximum Speed:||461 knots||531 mph||855 km/h|
|Cruise Speed:||275 knots||316 mph||509 km/h|