RAAF CA-27 Sabre
Rego: VH-IPN Military S/N: A94-983
History and Heritage Onward into HistoryA significant commitment to preserving historical military aircraft was made by the Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Geoff Shepherd when he signed an agreement with the Temora Aviation Museum during a ceremony at the museum on Saturday November 26th 2005. Under the agreement, co-signed by the Founder and President of the Museum Mr David Lowy, the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) will loan one of its historic aircraft to the Temora Aviation Museum (TAM).
The Sabre jet, flown throughout Australia and South East Asia by the RAAF will be restored to flying condition by TAM and will become a feature of our regular schedule of flying weekends, which are open to the public. Following the establishment of the recently announced RAAF Heritage Advisory Council, the agreement represents a further move to ensure that important pieces of the RAAF's heritage are not only preserved but made available to the Australian public.
Recognising the significance of the agreement, the Chief of Air Force commended the Museum for the initiative and continued support. “This agreement will help safeguard an important piece of Australian aviation history”, Air Marshal Shepherd said. “Mr Lowy’s shared passion for aviation heritage and the expertise of the museum staff will go a long way to supporting the RAAF’s endeavours to keep Australian war history accessible to future generations”.
History of CAC Avon Sabre A94-983Delivered from Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) in November 1957, A94-983 was brought into service at No 1 Aircraft Depot at Laverton before undergoing test flights at the Aircraft Research and Development Unit for three weeks. Upon completion the aircraft was delivered to No 78 Wing at Williamtown, and was subsequently allotted to No 3 Squadron at Butterworth in October 1958. In February 1959, the aircraft made a wheels-up landing at Butterworth, with extensive damage to the underside of the airframe, and was transported back to CAC at Avalon for the survey and costing of repair work.
After repair, A94-983 was allotted to No 76 Squadron in February 1961, and was operated until July 1963, when the aircraft was dismantled and put into storage at No 78 Wing, Williamtown. In November 1966, the aircraft was put back into service, this time with No 2 (Fighter) Operational Conversion Unit. By July 1970, the aircraft had moved to No 5 Operational Training Unit, before returning to No 2 (Fighter) Operational Conversion Unit in August 1971. In November 1971 the aircraft was ferried to Base Squadron Butterworth, for transfer to the Royal Malaysian Air Force.
Transferred to No 11 Squadron of the Royal Malaysian Air Force in December 1971 as serial no FMI983, the aircraft flew until 1976, when grounded awaiting disposal. 'Rescued' from its fate by No 75 Squadron, based at Butterworth, an 'E' Servicing was carried out over 12 months and A94-983 flew again in July 1978 in RAAF hands. A94-983 was then shipped back to Australia, and restored by No 2 Aircraft Depot. A94-983 was first displayed in public in March 1981. In November 1984 the aircraft carried out a forced landing and over-run at Bendigo, Victoria. The aircraft continued to be displayed by the RAAF Museum, and operated under the auspices of the Caribou and Historic Aircraft Section (CHAS) located at Richmond until 1992, and was relocated to Point Cook upon the disbandment of CHAS in 1997.
In January 2006 A94-983 was transported by road to the Temora Aviation Museum where a comprehensive return to service program commenced. Its two Rolls Royce Avon engines were delivered to Temora onboard a RAAF C-130J Hercules aircraft. The restoration of the Sabre commenced in May 2006 and culminated with the successful post maintenance check flights, the first one taking place on Thursday 16 July 2009.
The Sabre will reside at Temora Aviation Museum and be displayed regularly at Temora Aviation Museum Showcase Days and select Australian Defence Force airshows.
EngineOne Rolls-Royce/CAC RA.7 Avon Mk.26 axial flow turbojet
|Aviation Turbine Fuel (Jet Fuel)
Total internal fuel capacity of 412 imperial gallons (1,873 litres) in two fuselage tanks, two outer wing panel tanks and tanks in the leading edges.
|Wingspan:||37' 1 "||11.30 m|
|Length:||37' 6 "||11.43 m|
|Wing Area:||302.3 sq. ft||28.1 sq. m|
|Height:||14' 4"||4.37 m|
|Empty:||12,000 lb||5,443 kg|
|Maximum Takeoff weight:||21,210 lb||9,621 kg|
|Two 30mm Aden gas operated cannons with 162 rounds per gun mounted internally in the lower nose. External load can include two AIM-9B Sidewinder missiles, up to 24 ground rockets, two 500 or 1,000lb bombs or eight practice bombs.|
|Maximum Speed:||608 knots||700 mph||1,126 km/h|
|Cruise Speed:||477 knots||550 mph||885 km/h|