Rego: VH-MHR Military S/N: A46-122
Built in response to Australia's urgent need for fighter aircraft in WWII, the Boomerang utilised the design principles and construction techniques of the Wirraway advanced trainer, already in production at CAC. Such was the speed of its development that no actual prototype was produced.
The first five production aircraft were already under construction before the first aircraft flew. From official approval by the Government to proceed with the Boomerang production to the time of the first official flight was a little over sixteen weeks, a remarkable achievement by world standards. The Boomerang still remains to this day the only fully Australian designed and built fighter aircraft to see production.
Following the flight of the first Boomerang on 29th May 1942, a further 249 Boomerangs were constructed under four separate contracts between 1942 and 1945. Model designations were CA-12, CA-13, CA-19 and one CA-14 experimental turbocharged version. This same aircraft A46-1001 was later subjected to further major design changes and redesignated the CA-14A.
The Boomerang was flown by Nos. 4, 5, 83, 84 and 85 Squadrons RAAF in a home-defence role, undertaking escort duties for shipping convoys and in operations against the Japanese. It excelled in low-level army cooperation work over the New Guinea jungles, tasks which included directing artillery fire, marking targets for P-40 Kittyhawks and Corsair aircraft and providing aerial protection for ground troops.
EnginePratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4G
1200 Hp (895 kW)
PropellerHamilton Standard 3E50
Constant Speed three-blade propeller
Diameter 11' 0" (3.35 m)
FuelAviation Gasoline 87 Octane
Fuselage Tank Capacity:
Wing Centre Section (2):
70 Imperial Gallons
45 Imperial Gallons
84 U.S. Gallons
54 U.S. Gallons
Provision for jetisonable 70 Imperial Gallons (318 Lt) plywood tank under fuselage.
25' 9 "
225 sq. ft
20.90 sq. m
Maximum Takeoff weight:
ArmamentTwo 20mm Hispano or CAC manufactured cannons
Four 0.303” Browning machine guns
Bombs could be substituted when the large drop tank was not carried.